Just about every child will experience a sore throat at one time or another. Most of the time it’s more of a nuisance than anything else. But there are some instances where it can be a sign of a serious problem? So how do you know when you need to take your child to the doctor?
Signs You May Need Help
There are a few indications that your son or daughter may be dealing with something more serious than a cold. If you notice any of the following, get in touch with a doctor as soon as you can.
- The child drools and has difficulty swallowing.
- Your child’s breathing is different than normal, or he or she has trouble breathing.
- The child has a stiff neck or a fever of 102° F or higher.
- The fever doesn’t go down after giving medication, or it comes back quickly.
- Your child can’t stay awake.
- The fever is accompanied by a headache, vomiting or a rash.
Again, most of the time a sore throat is nothing to worry about. But there are times it can mean there’s something serious going on, such as strep throat.
Get in Touch With Us
If you have any reason to be concerned, get to Pediatric Healthcare of Northwest Houston so we can determine what’s going on.
We’ve helped children stay healthy and happy since 1999. Our qualified and experienced pediatricians are ready to help your child in whatever way he or she may need. Please contact us online or call (281) 655-1500 (Houston) or (936) 539-8190 (The Woodlands/Conroe) to schedule an appointment.